SIP (or Session Initiation Protocol) Trunking is a technology that transmits voice and video calls over the internet. This is different than traditional telephony which uses copper-wire phone lines. By using the internet, SIP permits users unlimited capabilities. Because it operates via the cloud, it is highly efficient and flexible.
What’s the Difference Between SIP and PRI?
It’s likely that you are more familiar with PRI’s and the PSTN. A PRI (Primary Rate Interface) is a traditional method of delivering phone service. While it is familiar, the reason many companies are switching to SIP is because PRIs are not as flexible and cost-effective as SIP.
Benefits of SIP Trunking
SIP Trunking as a lot of benefits that can help your company immediately. For example:
- Cost-Effective: SIP Trunking, unlike traditional telephony, allows you to purchase only what you require. This is just one way you can save with SIP; SIP is also great for companies with multiple locations, as you can share channels across multiple sites.
- Scalable: Because SIP doesn’t require physical landlines, it is extremely simple to add or subtract lines.
- Reliable: No business wants their Business Phone System to go down. This can prevent customers from reaching you and cost you money. SIP Trunking, however, can redirect calls to your cell phone or backup location in the event of an outage.
- No Geographic Limitations: Because SIP works through the internet, they are not limited by geography.
- Disaster Prevention: A natural disaster or fire can seriously harm your business. It is important to establish business continuity to limit the damage a natural disaster can do. SIP has a high degree of fault tolerance when compared to landlines and can make disasters easier to prepare for.